Thursday, December 29, 2005

I deleted all the other December diary entries between December 10th and now because they were just a bunch of back and forth between the partners and myself about the Goodwill Clause, subsequent complaints about the sales price I had already "negotiated" with them before that clause, and other small details.

In the process I managed to leave town twice more (once for a break, once to visit my family now for the holidays), and all of our attorneys also managed to delay the process.

Thursday, January 16, 2003

We came close to making George and Cooper Class A partners recently, but after some more problems between George and a client recently, we decided to hold off on the promotion. We could make Cooper a Class A Partner without promoting George at the same time, but we didn’t want to make the situation with George any worse than it already is, so we're holding off on both for the time being.

Tuesday, December 17, 2002

Late this afternoon the same group of people met at the CPA's office to listen to an offer for our company. The two financial men tell us they're willing to offer a total of $1.4M, mostly paid out from our earnings over a period of thirty-six months. Jack and I would have to stay at the company during that entire time, and they make it clear this is as high as they can go, this isn't a negotiation.

Saturday, December 14, 2002

Marty called me this afternoon to tell me that Rob and the gentlemen we met with Thursday night would like to present an offer to us. At first I was pretty excited, and also impressed by their turnaround time, but Marty also told me that he doesn't know anything about the offer, that the men want to present it to all of us at the same time. I'm taking this as a bad sign, because if they have to meet with us to present their offer it's probably going to be a sales pitch of some sort.

Thursday, December 12, 2002

I've had a few more phone calls with Marty and Rob over the last few days, mostly just clarifying the financial information we've already sent. Rob also tried to get a little more information about our clients, but I refused to give out any specific names, or what sort of work we were doing for any particular client. They had the "blinded" customer information, which showed things like "X yearly revenue coming from Customer Y", and in my mind that's all they needed right now. I assured them that if we went further in our conversations the numbers and the customer names would match up.

Tuesday, December 10, 2002

I got word today that nothing is going to happen with Marty's other potential buyer. Apparently our asking price was too steep for them to even bother with a meeting. Frankly, this really pisses me off, because it either means Marty was bluffing and didn't have another prospect, he didn't do all of his legwork to qualify this prospect, or his much higher asking price scared them off.