After trying a lot of different anti-spam modules with Drupal 8, the best thing I’ve ever done to reduce comment spam is to go to the Drupal admin /admin/structure/types/manage/blog/fields URI, click Edit on the Comments field, and then select the “Anonymous posters may not enter their contact information.” Since I chose that option two days ago I’ve only had one spammy comment show up in my approval list. That field gave spammers a simple way to enter a URL, and without it, the spam seems to have dried up.
I find Drupal 8 module management to be confusing, but one thing I’ve learned is that you can install and remove Drupal 8 modules with Composer at the command line.
Adding a Drupal 8 module with Composer
The short story is that to add a new module — such as the reCAPTCHA anti-spam module — you type this command at the command line (in the root directory of your Drupal 8 website) to install it:
As I noted five days ago, Mollom went out of business so I had to switch this Drupal 8 website to use a different module to control comment spam. I ended up adding two modules that work together, but the side effect of using their best features is that they end up disabling Drupal 8 page caching. This image clearly shows the result that disabling page caching has on CPU use.
I’m not sure why, but on April 3, 2018, the people behind the Mollom anti-spam module for Drupal basically went out of business. This meant that I either had to disable comments on this site (which I did for a while), or look at other anti-spam modules, which I did over the weekend.
As a brief note today, if you want to know if your Drupal 8 web pages are being cached, take a look at the headers that are returned by your Drupal 8 URLs. Here’s an example using the
As I wrote last week, I got tired of dealing with Drupal 6 (D6) security update issues — especially since D6 is no longer officially supported and the last unofficial D6 security update made my websites unusable — so I wrote a Play Framework (Scala) application to display my D6 database tables data.
It’s still a work in progress, but as you can see from this page on my One Man’s Alaska website, it’s coming along. As far as visitors of the website are concerned, mostly only thing the website needs is some CSS styling and maybe a search field. (I could also add support for comments and a contact page, but my D6 websites are old, and I don’t need/want those things. I probably also won’t put any effort into supporting 10-20 custom “category” URIs I used back in the day.)
As for the specific page I linked to on the One Man’s Alaska website, that’s a favorite memory of getting ready to winterize the car in October, 2010, when I lived in the Wasilla/Palmer area.
On April 3, 2018 this website suddenly got a ton of spam comments. Fortunately I caught the probably very quickly, and turned off the ability for people to post comments here. When I checked into the problem I found that Mollom — created by the same person who created Drupal — basically went out of business on April 2nd. (I’m sure there was some warning about this decision, but I sure didn’t get it.)
I’m often surprised when people who offer a free service shut down that service without asking a simple question: “Would you be willing to pay for this service, and if so, how much?”
(I’ll re-enable the ability to post comments here when I find a good replacement for Mollom.)
Don’t tell anyone, but my SQL skills are pretty average these days, at best, mostly because I haven’t had to do anything hard in a while. But just now I was happy to write this little SQL SELECT query that does a GROUP BY, an ORDER BY, and a COUNT, yielding the results shown in the image:
select nid, count(nid) from term_node where tid in (3,1,11,10,9,8,7) group by nid order by count(nid) DESC
I’m going to use this query — or one very similar to it — to get a list of nodes (
nid) that have the most tag ids (
tid) from the list of
tid in the query. In theory, the nodes (blog posts) that have the most tags in common should be the most related to each other. So, in my Scrupal6 replacement for Drupal 6, this query is a way to get “related” content for a given blog post. (The
tid list shown comes from node id 4, so I need to also exclude
nid=4 from the results. I also need to add a
limit clause to the query.)
If you ever need to do a group by, order by, and count in one SQL query, I hope this example is helpful.
If you want to see a relatively simple ScalikeJdbc example that performs SQL
UPDATE commands, I hope this example is helpful.
The background for this example goes like this: