What this is
This file is included in the DevDaily.com
"Java Source Code
Warehouse" project. The intent of this project is to help you "Learn
Java by Example" TM.
The source code
* Copyright 2001-2004 The Apache Software Foundation
* Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
* you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
* You may obtain a copy of the License at
* Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
* distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
* WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
* See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
* limitations under the License.
* This is a trivial example using the NNTP package to approximate the
* Unix newsgroups command. It merely connects to the specified news
* server and issues fetches the list of newsgroups stored by the server.
* On servers that store a lot of newsgroups, this command can take a very
* long time (listing upwards of 30,000 groups).
public final class newsgroups
public final static void main(String args)
if (args.length < 1)
System.err.println("Usage: newsgroups newsserver");
client = new NNTPClient();
list = client.listNewsgroups();
if (list != null)
for (int i = 0; i < list.length; i++)
System.err.println("LIST command failed.");
System.err.println("Server reply: " + client.getReplyString());
catch (IOException e)
catch (IOException e)
System.err.println("Error disconnecting from server.");
new blog posts
- Do that thing that will charm you
- There are two kinds of people in Alaska
- Functional Programming, Simplified (a Scala book)
- What'''s the easiest way to learn functional programming?
- Home sleep study: example, results, information
- Almost Everything I Know About Writing
- Example SQL queries: distinct, joins, group by, order by, count, and sorting
- '''Keep inventing, and don'''t despair when at first the idea looks crazy'''
- Broomfield, Colorado: Rocky Mountain sunset
Copyright 1998-2021 Alvin Alexander, alvinalexander.com
All Rights Reserved.
A percentage of advertising revenue from
pages under the /java/jwarehouse
URI on this website is
paid back to open source projects.