Generating a list of URLs from Apache access log files, sorted by hit count, using Apache Spark (and Scala)

Note: I originally wrote this article many years ago using Apache Spark 0.9.x. Hopefully the content below is still useful, but I wanted to warn you up front that it is old.


I don’t want to make my original Parsing Apache access log records with Spark and Scala article any longer, so I’m putting some new, better code here.

Assuming that you've read that article, or that you’re comfortable with Spark, I’ll jump right in and say that I use this piece of code to load my (a) Apache access log parser and (b) sample access log data file into the Spark REPL:

import com.alvinalexander.accesslogparser._
val p = new AccessLogParser
val log = sc.textFile("accesslog.sample")

To be clear, those statements, and all of the following expressions, are entered in the REPL. I start the Spark interpreter (REPL) with this command at my *nix command line:

$ MASTER=local[4] SPARK_CLASSPATH=AlsApacheLogParser.jar spark-shell

That command brings my Apache access log parser library (jar) into the Spark REPL workspace.

Getting a list of URIs

After those first few lines are loaded, I use the following expression that yields a list of URIs. It’s not exactly what I want, but it’s a start:

val uris =
              .filter(_ != "")
              .map(_.split(" ")(1))

If you’re new to Scala, this version of that same code may be more readable:

val uris = => p.parseRecordReturningNullObjectOnFailure(line).request)
              .filter(request => request != "")
              .map(request => request.split(" ")(1))   // a request looks like "GET /foo HTTP/1.1"

(Note that I paste long expressions like these into the REPL using the :paste command.)

Sidebar: Handling the 'bytes' field

I used this next expression to find the lines that my Apache access log file parser project wasn’t parsing properly:

for {
    line <- log
    if p.parseRecord(line) == None
} yield line

Using this expression, I found that the bytes field in an Apache access log record can contain the - character. I assumed that it would always be an integer value, so I fixed that in my parser library before proceeding.

Getting what I want: URIs sorted by hit count

Next up, this handsome expression returns an Array[(String, Int)], which is an array of (URI -> numOccurrences) pairs:

// works: use the previous example to get to a series of "(URI, COUNT)" pairs; (MapReduce like)
val uriCount =
                  .filter(request => request != "")  // filter out records that wouldn't parse properly
                  .map(_.split(" ")(1))              // get the uri field
                  .map(uri => (uri, 1))              // create a tuple for each record
                  .reduceByKey((a, b) => a + b)      // reduce to get this for each record: (/java/java_oo/up.png,2)
                  .collect                           // convert to Array[(String, Int)], which is Array[(URI, numOccurrences)]

Now that I have the hit count for each URI, I can get what I want, the data sorted, with the highest number of hits listed first:

import scala.collection.immutable.ListMap
val uriHitCount = ListMap(uriCount.toSeq.sortWith(_._2 > _._2):_*)    // (/bar, 10), (/foo, 3), (/baz, 1)

Now I print the first 20 records to verify that I have what I want:

// print the top-20 most-hit URIs


In the real world what I’m going to do next is get rid of all image, CSS, and JavaScript hits so I can see which blog posts are the most popular, but that’s a series of simple filter method calls. When I add those filter calls to this code, I can print the results onscreen as shown above, or with a little more formatting:

val formatter = java.text.NumberFormat.getIntegerInstance
uriHitCount.take(50).foreach { pair =>
    val uri = pair._1
    val count = pair._2
    println(s"${formatter.format(count)} => $uri")

This code gives me 50 lines of output that look like this:

29,228 => /
10,379 => /foo
9,512 => /bar
9,015 => /baz

Writing my results to file

The last thing I want to show is how to write this data to a file from the Spark command line. To do that, I use this code:

val file = new File("UriHitCount.out")
val bw = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(file))
for {
    record <- uriHitCount
    val uri = record._1
    val count = record._2
} bw.write(s"$count => $uri\n")

Note that I can’t use Spark’s saveAsTextFile method because uriHitCount is a ListMap.

For my current small sample data set, the first ten lines of the resulting UriHitCount.out file look like this:

80603 => /styles/mobile1024.css
80582 => /styles/mobile480.css
80375 => /styles/mobile768.css
79147 => /images/icons/home.png
78993 => /images/icons/gear.png
78988 => /images/icons/person.png
78961 => /images/icons/search.png
78925 => /sites/default/files/chrysalis2_logo.png
78849 => /images/icons/rss.png
78694 => /sites/default/files/V6-Flattened-FrontOnly-300pxH-60b.jpg
... this post is sponsored by my books ...

#1 New Release!

FP Best Seller


The next thing I want to do with this is to get all of my Apache access log files onto an Amazon cluster, and test Spark on multiple servers. But alas, that will have to wait until I can find some more free time. Until then, if you were looking for an example of how to use Apache Spark with Scala, and in particular, how to process Apache access log records with Spark and Scala, I hope this has been helpful.