JavaMail NoSuchProviderException problem solved

Today I dug into someone else's project to help fix it, and when I got to the part about sending email messages from within the program, I kept getting this JavaMail API exception:

javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException

JavaMail is usually pretty easy to setup and get running (assuming you have an SMTP server you can use), so it was a surprise to see this problem. To make a long story short, I found that the person who created this project had the wrong jar files in his project to handle the process of sending mail from a Java program. He had these two files:

activation.jar
mailapi.jar

The name of the activation.jar file looked right, but I didn't know what the other one was. I've always seen it named mail.jar, so again, keeping this short, I deleted his jar files and replaced them with jar files from these two URLs, and then everything magically started working:

Once those two JavaMail API jar files were replaced, the email code worked just fine.

Jar file-naming best practice

As a quick side note, I like the Apache method for naming jar files with version information, so I named these two jar files activation-1.1.1.jar and mail-1.4.1.jar. When you're in a situation like this, in a crunch and trying to figure out what someone else has done, I think this information is very helpful.

 

Add new comment

Anonymous format

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <pre>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.