What’s new: October 20, 2017
Version 0.1.5 is the last pre-release of the book, and it adds these new lessons:
- “The Problem with the IO Monad,” discusses why the IO monad doesn’t seem to be used in real-world Scala/FP
- A series of lessons on Type Classes
- A lesson on Lenses (for complex “Update as You Copy” needs)
- Lessons on concurrency that demonstrate Akka Actors and Scala Futures
It also includes these new appendices:
- The differences between
defwhen creating functions
- A lesson titled, “Recursion is Great, But ...” which covers the
for-expression translation examples
- Algebraic Data Types
I expect that the next release of the book will contain less than twenty new pages, and it will be the final release.Back to top
Buying the book
Here are some important things to know before you buy the book:
- While it’s in good enough shape to explain concepts like functors and monads, I still consider this to be an “alpha” release.
- When you buy the PDF, you’ll get free updates to it as soon as they become available.
You can buy the book at this gumroad.com link:Back to top
One more thing
I’m glad to say this:
2% of the profits will be donated to The Scala Center.
This is a small way to “pay it forward,” and show my gratitude to the creators of the Scala language and the Scala community.Back to top
If you’d like to preview the book before buying it, you can choose from these two options:
Note that the original name of the book was, “Learning Functional Programming in Scala,” so you will see that name referenced in those resources.Back to top
Some time in the future ...
I hope to have a hardcopy version of the book available by December, 2017, but at this point all of my efforts are going into cleaning up the PDF and Kindle versions of the book.Back to top
It is an awesome book, I really enjoy reading it.
Page 240 of the 0.1.2 PDF version of this book
"... such as the earlier sum function - its type would be shown like this:
Map[(Int, Int) => Int]"
I think the type should be
(Int, Int) => Int
The gum road website allowed my to download the new revision today with no difficulties. Thank you for posting the earlier version to read and I appreciated being able to purchase the book.