I was really surprised by the installation process of the Apple iPhone 2.1 software update. From my experience with Apple and Mac OS X, their installation process is usually extremely vague, essentially saying "There's an update for your software, and we recommend that you do this upgrade", and few other details are offered, even if you follow a URL they provide.
The iPhone 2.1 software update was a completely different experience however. With this update they very clearly spell out the bug fixes and new features in the update. It's almost like dealing with a different company.
For the record, here are the bug fixes and improvements that I think are most important with this update:
- improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
- fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes involving 3rd party applications
- improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
- decrease in call set-up failures and call drops
- improved battery life for most users
- reduced time to backup to iTunes
- faster installation of 3rd party applications
- faster loading and searching of contacts
- option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
- Genius playlist creation
There are a few more bug fixes involving text messaging, but this list shows the bug fixes I think will affect me the most.
Oh, by the way, did I mention that the download is 237.8MB? Wow!
This website is a little one-man operation. If you found this information helpful, I’d appreciate it if you would share it.