In two small tests where GraalVM was able to create a native executable, the native executable ran significantly faster than the equivalent Scala/Java code running with the Java 8 JVM, and also reduced RAM consumption by a whopping 98% in a long-running example. On the negative side, GraalVM currently doesn’t seem to work with Swing applications.
If you run into a problem where a Scala shell script won’t run on MacOS — it hangs indefinitely without doing anything — hopefully this bug report will help. The solution is to change this line at the beginning of the Scala shell script:
exec scala -savecompiled "$0" "$@"
exec scala -nocompdaemon -savecompiled "$0" "$@"
I just had this problem with Scala 2.12.x and Java 8 running on MacOS 10.14.4, and I can confirm that adding
-nocompdaemon solved the problem for me.
curl scripts to simulate GET, POST, DELETE, and PUT request (method) calls to my Play Framework REST/RESTful web services.
I recently started using AsciiDoc to write a new book. A great thing about it is that unlike Markdown, you can use AsciiDoc to write a book and get all of the features you want in a book, including linking between anything, captions for tables and figures, indexes, etc. Because this got me started using AsciiDoc I thought, “Wouldn’t it be nice if I could also use AsciiDoc to write blog posts like this one?”
Sadly, I quickly ran into a problem: I couldn’t find a good way to convert AsciiDoc into HTML, or even Markdown. There are tools to convert AsciiDoc to HTML, but for some reason they take the approach of including a ton of markup in the HTML (divs, spans, and attributes), and as far as I can tell there’s no way to turn off that markup.
I have a 19" monitor on the counter between my kitchen and living room, and it’s powered by a Raspberry Pi. I use the Linux Phosphor screen saver to show a scrolling “news and stock ticker” on the display, which I’ve programmed to show news from several different sources (Atom and Rss feeds, along with other news and data sources). An old version of the display looks like this:
Today I added a new “Word of the day” feature to the display, and as with all of the other code, I wrote a Scala shell script to generate the output.
A shell script to start your Play application
First, you need to create a little Unix shell script that runs the startup command for your Play Framework application. I created a Play application for a website named kbhr.co, so I
cd into the directory for that website:
Play Framework FAQ: Can you share an example of a Play Framework 2.6 startup script, i.e., a shell script that shows the commands and parameters you use to run a Play Framework application?
Sure. Assuming that you created a production mode version of your application with the
sbt dist command, deployed that zip file to a production server, and have a Play Framework 2.6 application named “myapp,” you can put a command like this in a Unix/Linux shell script to start your Play application:
I don’t remember exactly why I wrote this Scala shell script, but if I remember right I was having a problem getting
sed to work properly, so I wrote this little script to insert an Amazon Kindle “break” tag before each
<h1> tag in an HTML file:
If you ever need an example of a Unix/Linux shell script where you need to determine whether today is a weekend day, I can confirm that this code works: